Amos Hiatt Middle School was built in 1924 and has a rich tradition as a community school. The stately brick building includes a 600-seat auditorium, one gymnasium, a media center, four science Labs, a large technology education classroom as well as the standard academic classrooms.
A building addition was completed in the fall of 1991 that included a new gymnasium, vocal music room and an instrumental room with 4 practice rooms. In 1993, a new library/media center, teacher work room, and a computer media /instructional room were constructed. The cafeteria was also remodeled. During the summer of 1998, we were fortunate to receive bleachers for our gym. The building has recently been repainted making it beautiful and attractive. A new paved parking lot northwest of the building for staff and visitors has been completed.
In 2012, an intense remodel was completed to Amos Hiatt Middle School. A new office area, new classrooms, the installation of an elevator, remodeling of old classrooms, and a new section was built for the Boys and Girls club. The students and staff have celebrated the much needed renovations.
The building was named after Mr. Amos Hiatt. Mr. Hiatt served as the Superintendent of the East Des Moines School District from 1885 – 1903.